I admit, I was skeptical before I first tried this oil cleansing method, since my skin is naturally oily and I wasn’t sure it would work for me. I had also had very acne prone skin when I was younger, and was afraid that a method like this would bring back the acne… I was wrong! Oil cleansing actually turned out to be the most simple and effective natural beauty tip I’ve ever tried.
What Exactly Is Oil Cleansing?
Though it sounds somewhat crazy at first, the idea of using natural oils to cleanse the skin gently actually makes a lot of sense. The basic idea of oil cleansing is to use natural oils in specific combination to cleanse the skin and naturally balance the skin’s natural oils. This produces much more nourished and moisturized skin that traditional soap and detergent based facial cleaners.
“The basic concept of this skin care and cleansing method is that the oil used to massage your skin will dissolve the oil that has hardened with impurities and found itself stuck in your pores. The steam will open your pores, allowing the oil to be easily removed. Should you need it, the smallest drop of the same oil formula patted over damp skin will provide the necessary lubrication to keep your skin from over-compensating in oil production.”
Does It Actually Work?
This is the part I’m most excited to share! When I first started using Oil Cleansing, I had an adjustment period where my skin got worse for about a week. Most resources I’ve seen suggest that this is a detox reaction as impurities are pulled from the skin, and this is definitely what it seemed to be for me. After that, my skin gradually improved and by 3-4 weeks of using only oil cleansing, I had no excess oil, no dry skin, and no blackheads!
I asked several friends and family members who now use the oil cleansing method how it has worked for them, and they seemed to have the same results. Some even noted that oil cleansing and taking has been the best anti-aging treatment they’ve discovered, let alone has left their skin the softest it’s ever felt!
Min Jun Lee, founder of award winning Korean skincare system Saranghae says “Oil cleansing is the best foundation you can lay for clean, healthy and younger looking skin. Our products are sold as a system and although we’ve been lucky with amazing customer feedback, the most buzzed about product in both Asia and North America is always our Oil Cleanser”.
How Do You Use An Oil Cleanser?
- In the shower or at the bathroom sink, pour about a quarter size amount of the oil into your hand and massage into the skin on your face (don’t wet skin first). Use smooth circular strokes and let this also be a gentle facial massage. Massage for at least a minute (two minutes is better) or until you are sure that the oil has saturated your skin. This will also remove make-up very effectively, so there is no need to remove make-up first.
- Wet your hands and massage your skin, to emulsify the cleansing oils. You will find the oil dissolving under your fingers and turning a milky white. This is what removes the oily feeling on the skin. After a while, wet your hands again with a little more water and massage again. Repeat until all the oil is emulsified then rinse until clean.
- Pat your face dry. Never rub your face with anything but your hands (even the softest of face cloths can cause damage to your skin and cause signs of premature aging)
Notes on the Oil Cleansing Method
- It is normal for it to take a week or so for skin to adjust, and you may even see more oily skin or more breakouts during this time as impurities leave the skin. If you can, resist the urge to use harsh soaps or facial cleansers during this time, as it will make the adjustment period take longer.
- You will likely have to experiment some to find your perfect ratio.
- If you do this in the shower, make sure to clean your shower floor regularly so it doesn’t get slippery!
Saranghae is an award winning "#Korean inspired anti aging skin care routine" that heals, regenerates and protects your skin. Our active ingredients are a combination of 10 Asian botanicals that are extremely high in antioxidants and amino acids. Saranghae is based on a highly secretive 600 year old formulation that has been passed through generations.
To learn more about the benefits of Korean Skin Care, Saranghae's Korean 5 Step Anti Aging Skin Care Routine and Saranghae Customer Reviews & TestimonalsClick Here For More Information